[OS X TeX] OT: Learning Cocoa

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 7 04:17:46 CET 2006

A highly regarded book for Cocoa Programming is

Cocoa Programming
by: Anguish, Buck, Yacktman

ISBN: 0672322307
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672322307/103-6894645-2168668?n=283155>

I like this one, though it goes way beyond my
needs.  I'm no programmer, I'm a biologist who
uses computers and programming for applied stats
and the like.  I don't write full blown apps.
What I like about it is that it seems I will grow
into it rather than outgrowing it soon and
needing some other volumes.

I also have the most recent edition of the
Hillegass book.  It's ok, but sometimes it
doesn't go into enough  depth (for me) and other
timess there's too much verbiage.

At Rixstep.com there are a few pieces on Cocoa
Programming, and the NeXTStep pedigree of OS X.
<http://www.rixstep.com/2/20050702,01.html>
<http://www.rixstep.com/2/20051109,00.html>
<http://www.rixstep.com/2/0/>

They also have a commentary of Cocoa Books (very opinionated)
<http://www.rixstep.com/4/1/0/c,00.html>

blurb from rixstep.com
<http://www.rixstep.com/4/2/cp,00.html> on
Anguish, Buck, Yacktman:

"In what will probably remain one of the rare
products to ever get the highest possible Rixstep
review rating, authors Anguish, Buck, and
Yacktman take the reader on a tour-de-force
journey through the world of Cocoa. Three hundred
pages into the book they're still explaining how
the system works (by way of comparison, Simson &
Garfinkel waste your time with 140 pages about
how to click on push buttons) and how you as a
developer should regard it. Programming
discipline and proper training mean a lot here.

Apple have 'Inside' books available through
Vervante, but they're famously unhelpful. Cocoa
Programming takes the reader through the forest
and shows where the trees are, and it covers
everything, from advanced views to creating one's
own frameworks, to different techniques for
multithreading, and so on and so on through well
over 1,000 grueling pages.

Read this very carefully: If you are a
professional Cocoa programmer, or a professional
programmer planning to take a look at Cocoa,
there is only one book you will ever need, and
this is it."

René