[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.09a

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 16:35:53 CET 2006

Le 6 févr. 06 à 16:14, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> (2) Somewhere along the same line, though, could there be a way to
> click on a $ that selects all between that S and—do I dare to say
> it?—its matching dollar? This is a feature that I, for one, would
> truly like to have.

IIRC there have been talks about this on this list, years ago, but
the idea was abandoned because of the complexity of the matter:
unlike their LaTeX counterparts \( and \), the $s of plain TeX do not
have left and right forms, which means a number of particular cases
must be considered when moving forwards or backwards in a file so as
to catch the matching $ for a given $. It might even, I imagine,
involve parsing the whole input file.

That said, I think Emacs and/or Alpha implement syntax-coloring of
formulas between $s, which means they must have some mechanism for
detecting matching $s. (Don't swear by it, though, as it's a very
vague recollection and I may as well be completely wrong.)