[OS X TeX] New to the list with a cocktail of questions on how to migrate from Textures

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Feb 5 15:46:35 CET 2006

On 5 Feb 2006, at 11:45 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 4 févr. 06 à 19:55, Damlamian, Alain a écrit :
>
>> For a long time I have used Textures under Mac OS9, and I have
>> plenty of such documents.
>> [snip]

>> 2) use ofone or two specific Mac OSX fonts
>
> The gtamacfonts series of packages offers a way of using a few Mac
> OS X fonts transparently into LaTeX; see /Library/teTeX/share/
> texmf.gwtex/doc/fonts/gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.pdf.
>
> I do not think Kuenstler is one of them. Which means you've got to
> turn to XeTeX <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex/>, allowing the use of
> Mac OS X fonts into (La)TeX. See, in particular, for LaTeX the
> fontspec package /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/xelatex/
> fontspec/fontspec.pdf (once XeTeX is installed).
>
> Beware, though: with XeTeX, you've got to convert all your
> documents to UTF-8 encoding first;

Not necessarily, though in the longer term I would recommend this
anyway. Unicode will be *the* industry-standard encoding for the
foreseeable future, and adopting this standard in place of the
multiplicity of older, incompatible encodings is a Good Thing. :)

However, you can process a Mac Roman document with XeTeX (and use any
standard Mac OS X fonts) by telling XeTeX to interpret the input file
as Mac Roman rather than as Unicode. A small example would be:

% - - - - - enc-test.tex - - - - -
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = MacOSRoman

\XeTeXinputencoding "macintosh"

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Times Roman} % or whatever Mac OS X font you like

\begin{document}

Thïs ís à tèßt.

\end{document}
% - - - - - end of file - - - - -

> plus XeTeX may give slightly different result from TeX, especially
> regarding the interline spacing in text and formulas.

Yes; when using the TFM-less support for Mac OS X fonts, XeTeX does
not have access to exactly the same font metrics TeX would use, and
so the results may be different. (But on the other hand, you can use
any such font as soon as you've put it in your /Library/Fonts folder,
without the installation/configuration hassles TeX normally requires.)

JK