[OS X TeX] New to the list with a cocktail of questions on how to migrate from Textures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 5 12:45:40 CET 2006

Le 4 févr. 06 à 19:55, Damlamian, Alain a écrit :

> For a long time I have used Textures under Mac OS9, and I have
> plenty of such documents. I kept on using Textures under Classic
> when I switched to OS X. But with the Intel Macs, Classic will not
> be supported. So I am trying to use TeXShop and would like to be
> able to re typeset the Textures documents with TeXShop. I know that
> I will have to suffer for the graphics, since the way graphics are
> handled under Textures is very specific. But I was hoping that
> would be all. In particular, I used this short file called
> tex8bits.tex which allows to use accented letters in the source
> file and have them be replaced by the proper composite at typeset
> time (thus working with every the Textures fonts as well as some
> Mac fonts).
> I also used in my papers a cursive font (Kuenstler) for specific
> math letters (for which the standard cursive TeX fonts where not
> really satisfactorymainly because they were already used for other
> objects!). Hence my three  concurrent needs:
>
> 1) use of tex8bits.tex in the source under TeXshop

It's possible you may still use this file in TeXShop (you need to
copy it to ~/Library/texmf/tex/ first), you only need to make sure
MacOSRoman is selected as the encoding in Préférences > Document >
Encodage.

Another solution, in case you're using LaTeX, is to replace the call
to tex8bits.tex by one to the inputenc package:

\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

That said, as a former Textures user myself (still looking forward to
the Cocoa version, see <http://www.bluesky.com/news/
news_frames.html>), I knew the file option_keys, and similarly
8bitdefs.tex from OzTeX, but not the one tex8bits.tex you're
referring to.

> 2) use ofone or two specific Mac OSX fonts

The gtamacfonts series of packages offers a way of using a few Mac OS
X fonts transparently into LaTeX; see /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.gwtex/doc/fonts/gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.pdf.

I do not think Kuenstler is one of them. Which means you've got to
turn to XeTeX <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex/>, allowing the use of
Mac OS X fonts into (La)TeX. See, in particular, for LaTeX the
fontspec package /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/xelatex/
fontspec/fontspec.pdf (once XeTeX is installed).

Beware, though: with XeTeX, you've got to convert all your documents
to UTF-8 encoding first; plus XeTeX may give slightly different
result from TeX, especially regarding the interline spacing in text
and formulas.

> 3) Use of some colors.

In case you were using color through the graphics/x package: no
adaptation at all, what worked in Textures will work in TeXShop.

In case you were using the Textures color \specials directly: some
adaptation is necessary, since the way the color stack is manipulated
is different in Textures and TeXShop. Plus, in TeXShop you have two
modes pdfTeX (the default) on one hand, and TeX and Ghostscript on
the other hand: the second mode, which uses actually TeX + dvips +
GhostScript to produce PDF output, relies on the dvips \specials
described in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/dvips.pdf
and whose syntax is similar to Textures; the first mode, which uses
pdfTeX to produce PDF output directly, relies on the pdfTeX \specials
described in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/pdftex/manual/
pdftex-a.pdf and whose syntax is wildly different from Textures.

For example, I just digged a plain TeX macro file of mine which
includes the code:

   \ifpdf
     \input pdfcolor
     \def\Color##1##2{\pdfsetcolor{##1}##2\pdfsetcolor{\maincolor}}
   \else
     \iftextures
       \def\Color##1##2{\special{color push}\special{color cmyk ##1}##2%
         \special{color pop}}
     \else
       \def\Color##1##2{\special{color push cmyk ##1}##2\special
{color pop}}
     \fi
   \fi

The first definition is for pdfTeX, the second for Textures and the
third for dvips.

In case you were using the file CrayolaColors from the Textures
distribution, the same colors are defined for dvips by the file /
Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/plain/dvips/colordvi.tex, but the
syntax is a bit different: IIRC {\GreenYellow some text} in Textures
becomes \GreenYellow{some text} in dvips; see section 7 of /Library/
teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/dvips.pdf.

For pdfTeX the magic is done by /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/
plain/pdfcolor/pdfcolor.tex, though I don't remember the exact syntax
and it seems very poorly documented.

Good luck!