[OS X TeX] font problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 5 11:31:33 CET 2006

Le 4 févr. 06 à 19:14, KL Tah a écrit :

> [...]
> (/Users/ktah/Library/texmf/tex/latex/html/url.sty)
> [...]
> ) (/Users/ktah/Library/texmf/tex/pstimes.sty
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: *** NFSS release 1 command \new at fontshape found
> (Font)              *** Update by using release 2 command
> \DeclareFontShape.
> (Font)              *** Recovery is probably possible on input line
> 21.
>

> ! LaTeX Error: Font family `U+times' unknown.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.21     <25>psmtimr at 25pt}{}

I agree with Peter here: you seem to have an alternate texmf tree in
your home directory, and the files there are used in place of those
provided by gwTeX, in case there is duplication.

For example, url.sty is taken from your home directory while there is
already one, possibly more up-to-date, at /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/tex/latex/url/url.sty. Generally it's better to stick to
the versions included in gwTeX, unless you've a good reason to do
otherwise (for example requiring an extended beta version of a
package): the advantage of gwTeX being based on teTeX and TeXLive is
that it uses a well-tested consistent distribution, where all the
packages have been checked to work together well.

Back to your original problem: the package pstimes.sty is the
culprit, it seems to require .fd (font definition) files and/or .tfm
(TeX font metrics) files that are absent. Use the mathptmx package
instead; see /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/psnfss/
psnfss2e.pdf.

Bruno Voisin