[OS X TeX] Favorite TeXShop Macros

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 1 19:04:31 CET 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2006, at 1:00 AM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:
>
>> To get started I use the ``Find Next/Previous "Tab"'' macros along
>> with the Command completion with the • ``Tabs''. I've added another
>> one that has the Delete line enabled too. Then comes the ``Delete
>
> I am intrigued by what you call Command completion with the •
> ``Tabs''.
> How does this work? This reminds me of very useful functionaltity
> that I used in Alpha years ago.
>
> Could you explain (and sorry if I'm asking something too obvious)?
>
> Luis Sequeira

Howdy,

TeXShop has a Command Completion mechanism that allows for simple
completions as well as abbreviations. You write partial commands or
abbreviations, press the ESC key and completions/substitutions are
made based on the contents of a CommandCompletion.txt file (~/Library/
TeXShop/CommandCompletion/CommandCompletion.txt). This can be edited
via the Format->Completion->Open Completion File... menu command.

A while back I created a CommandCompletion.txt file which contained a
bunch of common commands with • (bullet) placeholders for skipping
from one argument to another. I also included a couple of Applescript
macros for jumping forward/backward to the placeholders. You can pick
up the latest version of the necessary files as CommandCompletion.zip
from my download site, <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2/>.

One thing to note: the CommandCompletion.txt and
RCommandCompletion.txt files are UTF-8 since that is what TeXShop
uses for those files. The Applescript.txt file is MacOSRoman; the
latest version of TeXShop seems to ``know'' this so trying to open it
with TeXShop defaulting to, e.g., UTF-8, gives and error message and
uses MacOSRoman to open it---neat!

Installation directions and hints are included in that package.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)