[OS X TeX] lucida fonts problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Dec 30 09:40:06 CET 2006

Le 30 déc. 06 à 03:03, Axel E. Retif a écrit :

> I have my Lucida fonts and lucida.map in ~/Library/texmf, and I
> always use
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> As far as I know, ``updmap --enable Map lucida.map'' (without
> ``sudo '') will create the dreaded web2c folder in ~/Library/texmf

I think (but am not sure) the last step at the end of the Install &
Configure stage of the TeX i-Package (I don't remember the exact
wording, but it is about making the setup backwards-compatible) is
precisely here to make all the invocations of updmap behave as updmap-
sys and hence prevent the creation of the dreaded ~/Library/texmf/web2c.

Despite having several times looked at this, and posted several
messages on the subject here, I never remember what the syntactically
correct invocation of updmap should be, for reading individual map
files (such as lucida.map) in the user-specific directory ~/Library/
texmf and write global map file (such as psfonts_t1.map) in the
system-wide directory /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local.

As to myself, I always install fonts and their support files system-
wide, inside /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local, and hence always use

     sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

Bruno