[OS X TeX] Experimental MacTeX Packages

Gary L.Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sat Dec 30 01:20:40 CET 2006

On Dec 23, 2006, at 1:21 AM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Experimental MacTeX packages are available for testing at
>
> 	www.tug.org/~koch/NewPackages.html
>
> These packages adopt Gerben Wierda and Jerome Lauren's new data
> structure for handling multiple TeX distributions. I am an
> enthusiastic supporter of their work.
>
> Let me emphasize a point made at the top of the above web page.
> Feel free to try the package which installs Gerben's original TeX
> distribution, or the package which installs TeXLive-2005, but if
> you want gwTeX, please install with i-Installer rather than the
> MacTeX package, because
>
> 	a) Gerben needs to extensively test his package before other
> 	obligations take precedence after January 1, and by using
> 	i-Installer you can aid this testing.
>
> 	b) If you installed Gerben's earlier experimental TeXLive based
> 	distribution, i-Installer will migrate that distribution to his new
> 	gwTeX. The MacTeX package doesn't do that.
>
> I put a MacTeX gwTeX package on the page so a few TUG people could
> test it because TUG's DVD deadline is around January 1. Everything
> is coming due at once.

Hi Dick.

We (Francesco and I) waited until today to move to the "next
generation" of TeX on Mac OS X. We both uninstalled everything from
our previous installation of TeX and then installed TeXLive-2005.dmg,
as well as MacTeX_Additions.dmg. So far everything is working very
nicely and the transition seems to have been rather seamless. Most
importantly, the "magnum opus" (600 rather complex pages of
engineering textbook) typesets flawlessly.

Thank you again for your efforts.

All the best,
   Gary

P.S. I see in an off-list that TeXLive 2006 is coming. When you
announce it, please let us know if it is sufficient to simply install
it without messing with TeXLive 2005 that I installed today. I am
hoping that it will simply install in parallel and then I can switch
between the two using the TeX Distribution pref pane.