[OS X TeX] TexShop Installation Question

Rob Preuss rpreuss at bbn.com
Sun Dec 24 17:44:15 CET 2006

Will someone please help me with this hopefully very
simple problem?

    I need explicit instructions on what I must do
    to get TeXShop installed and working properly.

BACKGROUND

I had an older version of TeXShop working just fine on my
Powerbook G4 but then my disk crashed (thus wreaking havoc
in my life). I then bought a new Mac Book Pro C2D and I'm
trying to get TeXShop installed so I can be productive again.

Based on information obtained on this web page...

    http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/installing.html

I did the following:

1) Downloaded and install "i-installer version 2.86"

2) Used "i-installer" to install the follow packages,
    in the order listed, on 12/22/06

    a) FreeType 2
    b) libwmf
    c) PNG Library
    d) Ghostscript 8
    e) ImageMagick
    f) FontForge
    g) Fondu Mac Font cli Tools

3) Because the "i-package info" on the "TeX" package (tex.ii2)
    said that version was deprecated, I instead installed the
    "TeX (based upon TeX Live)" package (texlive.ii2). I waited
    until 12/23 to do this because, on 12/22, I kept getting
    notices that this package was being updated.

4) Downloaded and installed TeXShop 2.09d

I then tried to re-typeset a TeX document previously-created
(and previously-typeset) with an earlier TeXShop installation
but this only gave he response

   Can't find required tool

   /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex does
   not exist. Perhaps teTeX was not installed or was removed
   during a system upgrade. If so, go to the TeXShop web site
   and follow the instructions to (re)install teTeX. Another
   possibility is that a tool path is incorrectly configured
   in TeXShop preferences. This can happen if you are using
   the fink teTeX distribution.

QUESTIONS

+ Was I wrong to install "Tex (based upon TeX Live)"?
+ If so, how do I remove it and what should I install?
+ Maybe I should be using the TeXShop 2.10 beta instead?

Thanks (and Happy Holidays)

Rob

| Dr. Robert D. Preuss (Rob)           | BBN Divisional Scientist |
| BBN Technologies                     | Voice:      617-873-3773 |
| 10 Fawcett Street, Mail Stop 1A      | Fax:        617-873-2918 |
| Cambridge, MA 02138-1171  USA        | Alt-Fax:    617-873-2894 |
|    <http://www.bbn.com/>             | Email:   rpreuss at bbn.com |
          ==> Pi is approximately equal to  355/113  <==
          ==>  E is approximately equal to 2721/1001 <==

     "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_citizen