[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Dec 22 13:25:35 CET 2006

Le 22 déc. 06 à 00:44, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> there's the pkfix-helper Perl script by Scott Pakin. It was relased
> this summer. It is meant to pkfix younger PS files from dvips
> versions later than 5.58. It's not in MiKTeX, but it's on CTAN –
> and TCO Browser! I just checked ...

Peter,

Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into this. Looking quickly at the
pkfix-helper doc, installation seems straightforward but use doesn't:
it seems an iterative process between the program and the user, to
process satifactorily a complete PS file with many fonts some of
which having only a few glyphs embedded in the PS file.

And the PS file I have in mind contains lots of maths (for those who
do maths: PhD thesis using matched asymptotic expansions, with 4
domains to match at a number of orders). I'll experiment.

For the moment my TeX install is in a state of flu: I fell asleep
yesterday night in front of my PowerBook while it was downloading and
installing the new TeX i-Package; then the PowerBook went to sleep,
its AirPort internet connection was broken, and the download of the i-
Package elements yielded incorrect MD5 checksums; when waking up this
morning I was confronted with i-Installer dialogs asking to re-enter
my password, then with dialogs mentioning checksums problems but only
offering the possibility to Accept, and finally the installation
started without offering (I think) a switch to abort; and then, of
course, the installation failed. When I realized what was happening
it was too late.

I won't have time to try and see what can be rescued until later
tonight. It looks like things are OK: /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local
has been moved to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local, but seems otherwise
unchanged. All the rest I can reinstall and recreate at will, but it
would have been really inconvenient if I had needed to put all the
stuff previously in texmf.local back together. So all seems well that
ends well.

I'll look at pkfix-helper afterwards.

Bruno