[OS X TeX] Latex to HTML

Tobias Sebastian Kuhn tosebk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 19:56:48 CET 2006

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Arthur Snoke wrote:
>
>> When the are upgrades to the operating system, things in /usr get
>> overwritten.  Is this not a problem here because Apple would not
>> have a directory /usr/texbin?

/usr/texbin is a symlink:
e.g.
/usr/texbin@ -> /usr/local/texlive/Master/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
for the rebuild binaries of the texlive source, it's working pretty
well, actually.
and with 1.93 GB it's approximately double the size of
/usr/texbin@ -> /usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/powerpc-darwin.

>> On the Sun when I upgrade the operating system, the /usr
>> partititon is completely new, and I have to put in manually such
>> things as /usr/local.

I decided to rebuild /usr/local and instead of a directory I made a
symlink

/usr/local@ -> /Users/tosek/local

mainly to avoid the constant use of sudo.

Normally configure-make-install works, but sometimes it still needs
sudo,
and using su to change to admin is inefficient (still needs another
sudo + password).
So I added myself to the sudoers list.

i-installer doesn't need a password anymore.
Spotlight needs no force to index your stuff in /usr/local.

Now I prefer /usr/local/texbin instead of /usr/texbin as it makes
switching between different TeX-Installation faster and no fiddling
with passwords, just an Applescript.

Am 21.12.2006 um 18:04 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> Finally, Security Updates and OS X 10.x.n updates don't seem to
> disturb items that are in /usr/ except things they directly update.
> I have never lost (crossing fingers behind back) anything from
> those updates.

Isn't /usr/local moved in case of "Archive & Install?
I'm not sure of this...

Having local in my home directory makes backup easier.

/usr/local@ -> /Users/Shared/local

would be another possibility.

Ok, this was a bit OT.

With htlatex I still have to figure out how to avoid getting every
footnote as single html-file, but with texlive and the source it
works...

Regards

T.