[OS X TeX] (OT) converting old ps to pdf

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Dec 21 14:57:46 CET 2006

Le 21 déc. 06 à 12:23, Morten Høgholm a écrit :

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:20:57 +0100, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested in a pointer to a utility, if any, taking PS
>> files based on PK fonts and transforming them into PS files based
>> on PS Type 1 fonts.
>
> <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/pkfix.html>.

Thanks Morten, very convenient. I have a number of preprints, sent by
colleagues or found on web pages, unfortunately still produced with
PK-based TeX installations. These preprints will now become much
easier to read.

On the other hand, the restrictions that the dvips version used to
produce the PK-based PS files isn't too old is real. I failed to
convert a 218-pages-long thesis, painful to read because of the PK
fonts:

$ pkfix thesis.ps thesis-fixed.ps
PKFIX 1.3, 2005/02/25 - Copyright (c) 2001, 2005 by Heiko Oberdiek.
==> no fonts converted

The thesis starts indeed with:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Creator: dvipsk 5.58f Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
%%Title: thesis.dvi
%%Pages: 218
%%PageOrder: Ascend
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 596 842
%%EndComments
%DVIPSCommandLine: dvips -othesis.ps thesis
%DVIPSParameters: dpi=600, comments removed
%DVIPSSource:  TeX output 1999.04.16:1648

and falls precisely within the category of files that cannot be
treated: from the pkfix README:

* PostScript files, generated with older dvips versions
   (for example 5.58), do not contain the essential comments,
   so pkfix does not detect pk fonts.

Bruno