[OS X TeX] preferred tool for presentations

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Tue Dec 19 19:51:25 CET 2006

On Tue 19 Dec, at Tue 19 Dec 1:47 , Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>> If you want to move away from tex-based tools, you may try Keynote.
>>> You can import latex math very easily by cut-and-paste from a pdf
>>> file.
>>
>> I'm surprised no one has recommended this yet.  Keynote is cheap,
>> exceedingly easy to use, and makes terrific presentations.  Using
>> TeXShop you can select  an equation from a PDF file and drag it
>> directly into your presentation (great for preparing a presentation
>> quickly from an existing paper) or use the excellent little app
>> LaTeXiT to render LaTeX math code into a little PDF graphic that you
>> can likewise drag into your presentation:
>
> Actually I wouldn't recommend this combination at all if you need
> to typeset anything but simple formulas!

I completely concur.  For all the reasons you mention, a presentation
that is heavy with complicated math is very frustrating to compose
with Keynote/LaTeXit; the *TeX presentation options are much more
appropriate.  I should have noted that I had presentations in mind
that are heavy on text and light on the math -- one or, occasionally,
two relatively simple equations per page, say.