[OS X TeX] Re: xelatex format not found after updating TeXLive i-package

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Dec 15 11:37:20 CET 2006

Am 15.12.2006 um 10:12 schrieb nicola:

> (/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/generic/hyphen/frhyph.tex
> frhyph.tex - French hyphenation patterns (V2.11) <2002/01/16>))

These are a bit old! When I last built via i-Installer a XeTeX based
format these were used:

	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/frhyph.tex
	frhyph.tex - French hyphenation patterns (V2.12) <2002/12/11>)

> ! e-TeX  warning: file "language.def" has wrong header;
>   expected: "%% e-TeX V2.2"; found: "^^I%% e-TeX V2";
> Use fallback? =
> ! Emergency stop.

Language.def has a header line identifying the version. You could
find the file and change the incomplete version information V2 to
V2.2 – but the real bug is this:

> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex
> xetex.ini' ...

I don't remember having seen this. The XeTeX source has a shell
script that writes these lines into  fmtutil.cnf:

	# XeTeX formats
	xetex	xetex	-	*xetex.ini
	xelatex	xetex	language.dat	*xelatex.ini

So it looks as if the recent teTeX or TeXLive i-Packages have the
wrong entries in fmtutil.cnf which the XeTeX i-Package does not
correct – anymore! In my old i-Packages directory I've found elder
versions of fmtutil.cnf that have this etex augmented settings:

	xetex  xetex   -       -etex xetex.ini
	xeplain        xetex   language.dat   -etex xeplain.ini
	xelatex        xetex   language.dat   -etex xelatex.ini

So you'd just need to change the faulty GW lines into the correct
ones ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
                                            Ernst Mach