[OS X TeX] Re: Worrying about MS (was Keeping this list healthy)

Adam Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 15 01:46:28 CET 2006

[snip]
> It is all the more unacceptable to me as all you needed to do was just
> to copy-paste your document into your email as plain text or, should
> you have felt that its formatting was essential, to save it as RTF,
> PDF or HTML, all non-proprietary formats, before attaching it.

[snip]

Aren't PDF and RTF both proprietary, even though the standards are published? I was under the impression that RTF was created by MS.
I suppose one issue is, what is required to read it properly? In this case, of course, RTF and PDF readers are widely available. They are not therefore non-proprietary, public, or free "as in freedom".

--
Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
Email (use "@" for "-at-"): adam.goldstein-at-jhu.edu