[OS X TeX] Unix, sudo and mpm

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Dec 13 13:00:59 CET 2006

At 12:06 PM +0100 12/13/06, Alex Hamann wrote:

>Setting the installation directory
>
>The installation directory is the root of a TDS-compliant TEXMF
>directectory hierarchy. The location of the installation directory
>is determined by the configure script.
>
>The --install-root option lets you set the installation directory at
>run-time. For example, the following command installs the package
>database files in your home TEXMF:
>
>>  sudo mpm --install-root=~/texmf --update-db
>
>(end quote)
>
>Here the texmf in my home directory is mentioned. Does this mean,
>that when I run this command all packages will from then on be
>installed in the texmf folder of my home directory (= the home
>directory of the sudoer)? This I clearly would like to avoid since
>the sudoer is not my normal user account from where I run my tex.

No, it will behave as you want.  If you specify the --install-root
option when you run mpm, it will install it anywhere you like.  So if
you wanted to install something *just* in your local texmf tree you
could, using this option.  If you leave it out, (which you would
normally) it will install in the default directory (which should be
/... texmf.local)

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491