[OS X TeX] Problem with beamer : ! LaTeX Error: File `*' not found.

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Tue Dec 12 23:43:37 CET 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Eric van der Oord wrote:
> I've got a new macbook pro and switched from GWTeX to TeXLive.
>
> Beamer does'nt work on a file that compiled OK with GWTeX...
>
> (log file is below)

Looks to me like you have not reset the paths properly for TeXLive in
whatever program (TeXShop?) is calling your TeX engine; it's still
calling stuff out of a teTeX hierarchy:

> %%%%%%%%%
>
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> entering extended mode
> (./pres-BTS-ecran.tex
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french,
> german, ngerman, b
> ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
> esperanto, e
> stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
> norsk, polis
> h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
> swedish, tur
> kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/beamer/beamer.cls
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/beamer/
> beamerbasercs.sty)

The texmf.gwtex dir under TeXLive should be a subdirectory of /usr/
local/TeXLive.

Also make sure you are now calling TeX binaries out of /usr/local/
TeXLive/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current since you're on a shiny new
Intel machine now.  Otherwise you will be running PPC binaries under
Rosetta, which are much slower than the native binaries.

Chris Menzel