[OS X TeX] mpost 0.992 in gwTeX problem

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Mon Dec 11 21:42:58 CET 2006

Le 11-déc.-06 à 17:38, nicola a écrit :

> Hi,
> I have updated to the latest (9 dec 06) Gerben Wierda's TeXLive
> distribution, which comes with MetaPost 0.992. Compiling the following
> source code
>
> verbatimtex
> %&latex
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> etex
> beginfig(0);
> label.top(btex $x$ etex, origin);
> endfig;
> end;
>
> produces the following error:
>
> $ mpost foo.mp
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.992 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> (foo.mpmakempx: Command failed: tex --parse-first-line
> --interaction=nonstopmode mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.log
>
>>> foo.mp
>>> foo.mpx
> ! Unable to make mpx file.
> l.8 label.top(btex
>                    $x$ etex, origin);
> Transcript written on foo.log.
>
> If I delete the verbatimtex... etex part I can compile without
> errors. A
> similar problem exists if I use TEX.mp with a line similar to
>
> TEXPRE("%&latex" & char(10) & "\documentclass{article}\begin
> {document}");
>
> My impression is that mpost does not recognize %&latex. Why?
>
> Nicola

Same results here, if I run Metapost via TeXShop. If you want to use
LaTeX for your labels, you could:

-- either open the file "metapostwrap" in /Applications/TeXShop/
contents/resources, and change this file by replacing the lines:

mpost --interaction=nonstopmode "${filename:r}.mp"

and

mpost  "${filename:r}.mp"

by

mpost --interaction=nonstopmode -tex=latex "${filename:r}.mp"

and

mpost -tex=latex "${filename:r}.mp"

It will force Metapost to run LaTeX for labels. This is the solution
I'm using.

-- or of course running Metapost through the command line: "mpost -
tex=latex your_file.mp"...