[OS X TeX] Bold small caps

Joshua Smith joshua.smith at ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 7 20:06:17 CET 2006

Hello all.  I know really little about using different fonts with
LaTeX, but I would like to have bold small caps.  I did some looking
through the archives of Comp.text.tex and it appears the easiest way
to achieve this is to declare

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

and then use

\textbf{\textsc{Text}}

However, when I do this, the entire PDF looks fuzzy in both TeXShop
and Preview, but looks fine in Adobe Reader.  If I deactivate
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} I lose the bold small caps, but the PDF
looks sharp in TeXShop and Preview.  What is the cause of this?

Alternative, I read that I could get cmbcsc10.mf from CTAN and
declare the following in my preamble

\DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{sc}{<5><6><7><8><9><10><10.95><12>
<14.4><17.28><20.74><24.88> cmbcsc10}{}

I put the file cmbcsc10.mf in the same folder as my TeX source (I
thought that would be simplest for now), and the above line in my
preamble.  However, when I process the file, Metafont does some work
but I ultimately get some error about a missing font and the bold
small caps text is missing from the PDF.

So, how can I get bold small caps and a sharp PDF?

Thanks,
Josh Smith
UCSF