[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 7 18:58:48 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Christopher Menzel wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 4:25 AM, Matthieu Masquelet wrote:
>> Oops I guess I was being too hasty, I thought this was what it was
>> doing but yes, maybe I was indeed closing the pdf in between... But
>> even if you close it, it does open again at the previous location you
>> were looking at when you closed it. So I guess my happiness needs to
>> be tamed down a little bit, I need to add a command-W and a shift-tab
>> to my routine every time I save.
>
> That's not really necessary.  You can set both TeXShop an
> TeXniscope so they watch your pdf document for changes every second
> or so and automatically refresh when I change is detected.  I use
> TeXniscope with the "Auto Refresh" option set (in TeXShop it's
> Prefs -> Preview -> Automatic Preview Update), so if I run
> "atchange foo.tex pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode foo.tex",
> TeXniscope will show my updated document immediately upon saving
> it.  As it happens, you get pretty much the effect of atchange by
> using Emacs+auctex, which I find preferable because your are
> notified of LaTeX errors in your source file and can jump to them
> immediately -- but the ability to refresh automatically is of
> course indispensable either way.  (A further advantage of
> TeXniscope over Preview.app (and, I *think*, TeXShop) is that it
> doesn't steal the focus when it updates.)
>
> Chris Menzel

Howdy,

The latexmk perl script has an option that will keep it in memory and
automatically re-run (pdf)latex, bibtex, mkindex, etc., when files it
is monitoring change. I haven't used that so I don't know how well it
works.

By the way, do you manually have to kill the processes when you're done?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)