[OS X TeX] Spotlight doesn't index TeX distro

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Dec 4 13:18:12 CET 2006

Le 4 déc. 06 à 12:59, David Goldschmidt a écrit :

> I've noticed that Spotlight doesn't seem to be
> indexing /usr/local/teTeX...
> Is there some way to get it to do this?  Searching with ls, grep, etc.
> seems more painful.

Something like "mdimport -f /usr/local/teTeX" should do. You need, of
course, to have an importer for TeX files on your system. TeXShop
includes one. You can see get the list of all installed importers
with "mdimport -L", yielding for example in my case:

$ mdimport -L
2006-12-04 13:05:18.099 mdimport[445] Paths: id(501) (
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",
     "/Users/bvoisin/Library/Spotlight/FontMDI.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
neolight.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
TeX.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Keynote.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/SourceCode.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Pages.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Wolfram Notebook.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/iMovie.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/Linotype FontExplorer X.app/Contents/Library/
Spotlight/FontExplorerXMDI.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter"
)

Look at the line "/Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Library/
Spotlight/TeX.mdimporter". I don't know, though, exactly which
extensions (to simplify) this importer claims (.tex, .sty, .cls, etc.).

Another useful instruction, after installing a new importer, is
"mdutil -E [a volume name]", which erases and rebuilds the SpotLight
database for the indicated volume.

See, for these and related issues, the man pages of mdimport, mdutil
and so forth.

I think there are also GUI utilities for managing SpotLight
databases, but I don't remember what these utilities are.