[OS X TeX] mathtime, tetex/TeXLive,macTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Dec 4 12:40:30 CET 2006

Le 2 déc. 06 à 22:17, Jérome Laurens a écrit :

> What are the Lucida fonts we have on Mac OS X?
> Is there any  link with the pctex fonts?

As far as I know, the Lucida fonts from either pctex < http://
www.pctex.com/Lucida_Fonts.html> or TUG <http://www.tug.org/store/
lucida/index.html> are the same. These are an updated version of
those formerly sold by Y&Y, and which were available for the Mac
through Blue Sky Research (the makers of Textures).

I don't know whether the license is different, depending on whether
the fonts are sold through PCTeX or TUG. I imagine there can only be
one license, but who knows? The license when getting the fonts
through TUG is <http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/lucida-license-
individual.txt>, and that when getting the fonts through PCTeX is
<http://www.pctex.com/files/managed/a/a2/EULA.txt>. I'm not inclined
enough towards legal issues to read them and try to find whether
there's indeed a difference, I must admit.

What's new especially (apart from, for us Europeans, the Euro sign),
is the LaTeX support package, lucimatx by Walter Schmidt, replacing
the former lucidabr by Sebastian Rahtz & David Carlisle. Contrary to
the latter, this new package is no longer available for free on CTAN:
it can only be obtained when purchasing the fonts.

The PCTeX page mentions explicitly this new package, while the TUG
page doesn't. I imagine, though, that lucimatx is provided with both
distributions.

See also <http://www.pctex.com/kb/53.html>.

Similarly, PCTeX sells MathTime Pro 2 <http://www.pctex.com/
mtpro2.html>, an update of the MathTime fonts, namely of the Basic
and Pro MathTime 1.1 fonts sold formerly by Y&Y. Only MathTime Basic
has ever been made available on the Mac through Blue Sky Research.
The Pro distribution complemented the Basic one by adding, among
other things, bold math italic (used for vector variables in my field).

Like Lucida, these updated MathTime fonts come with a new support
package, mtpro2, by Walter Schmidt, replacing the former package
mathtime by Frank Mittelbach & David Carlisle.

The corresponding license is <http://www.pctex.com/files/managed/c/c5/
MTP2EULA.txt>. It is said to be more liberal than the former license
from Y&Y, though I must admit that I am, again, not interested enough
by legal issues to read it and try to figure out what has changed.

As for me, I'm still using my MathTime and Lucida fonts converted to
PFB from the Mac LWFN originals, together with the packages mathtime
and lucidabr. It makes certainly sense to update (if only, again, to
get the Euro sign, and to get at last access to the MathTime Pro
features on the Mac).