[OS X TeX] Keeping this list healthy

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:22:44 CET 2006

On 12/1/06, Alain Schremmer <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with all of the above—for what my agreement is worth but I would
> just like to add one item:
>
> People tend to be "reactive" rather than "creative"—the latter in a very
> restricted sense of the word and people generally hate to be misunderstood.
>
> Say A makes a point. Generally, A's post being the first one on this
> point is not "reactive" and tends to be relaxed—even if not clear and
> precise. But what is particularly annoying to A is when after A tried to
> explain something c;early—at least in his/her own eyes, B, for whatever
> reason and in whatever manner, miss or ignore the point entirely.

When A makes some point he/she expects certain reaction, right? Now
the good question what reaction expected Bruno when mentioned M$W in
this list? It was doomed to generate a discussion between M$-bashers
like me and members of PETMU [Peole for Etical Treatment of Micro$oft
Users] like you. I am not saying that Bruno should not start it, but
the reaction was absolutely predictable.

Also, what reaction was expecting CG posting the private email from GW?

And finally what expected the author of this thread? The total
agreement that we are very nice and civilized people but we need to be
even nicer and more civilized? He got it (in this case I join the
chorus) :-)

> So, while B has that glass of wine before responding to A, and possibly
> nailing her/him down, I would suggest s/he reread A's post a couple of
> time, really trying to see it from A's viewpoint. This of course does
> not imply that B should try to agree with A. B should try to see exactly
> what A was trying—and possibly failing to say—and this even if only
> better to nail A down.

Agreed.

So let everybody have a very nice weekend with the glass of
wine/beer/champagne/cognac/liqueur/vodka whatever one prefers.

                                                         Victor