[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:26:14 CET 2006

On 12/1/06, Thomas Käufl <kaeufl at ira.uka.de> wrote:

> What do you expect?
>
> Today, the children learn the use of MS Weird for writing articles
> etc. (At least in Germany)
>
> The schools in Baden-Wuerttemberg are obliged to use MS products.
> Teachers get MS products without paying for them.
> > And, last week my daughter (16 years old) had to enlarge a picture.
> Photoshop was available and she knew it. What did she do? She
> opened the picture in MS Weird and assigned the desired sizes
> to it using the features of MS Weird.
>
> I confess:
> MS Weird is the operating system and there is no operating system
> besides it.
>
> Have a nice weekend
> Thomas Kaeufl

Few years ago my son high-school student at that time was left to
substitute a teacher in Grade 12 algebra. He prepared handout using
LaTeX which he had been using for few years then. When the teacher
returned and asked the class how they were doing, among other things
he was told by the whole class: "The first time we got professionally
prepared handout, not that crap you gave to us" [kids are soooo polite
:-)]. It had not forced the teacher to switch to LaTeX (BTW one of the
best in the province); he avoided the further embarrassment  by never
asking again my son to take over the class :-(