[OS X TeX] /usr/local/texprograms -> /Library/ActiveTeXPrograms

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Dec 1 01:25:06 CET 2006

Before this complicated set of folders and sym-links gets created,
for just a few geeks, hopefully: can the installer first ask whether
this stuff is welcome on the Mac it is installing on?

/usr/local/texmf isn't used yet. Couldn't this simple sym-link point
to the right distribution? An 'open /usr/local/texmf' would open the
root folder of the active TeX distribution. A neutral /Library/texmf
could also point to /usr/local/texmf which then points to <active TeX
distribution>. It even works to drag the sym-link /usr/local/texmf
into Finder amongst the other favourites.

When this non-sense, IM not so humble O, continues, I'll prefer to do
what I did at university: compile and install myself (as with X11R7),
fetching up-to-date sources via CVS or SVN to an external disk of
sufficient size once I feel in the right (or wrong) mood. Over night.
Or a weekend, or the holidays. I have Automator. This would give me
the opportunity to optimise the binaries for speed.

I feel I'm not geek enough to become user of the new TeX times on
some rare Macs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

                   Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp!