[OS X TeX] Help for FontForge needed

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Aug 31 02:07:14 CEST 2006

Le 31 août 06 à 01:22, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 31.08.2006 um 00:11 schrieb André Bellaïche:
>
>> I have read that the first step is to make .pfb fonts from the
>> files sent by the vendor. I could install FontForge, which, I was
>> said, can manage all types of fonts. The first answer by FontForge
>> is "There are several fonts in this file. Choose anyone." (In
>> French, in fact.) Easy step. But after that, there is nowhere any
>> mention of a conversion to .pfb. Only BDF, which is, I guess a
>> kind af bitmat format. What should I do now ?
>
> The manual should describe such things. It's big enough.

The FontForge manual, you mean. In didn't thought it existed.

>> But the main problem is that I do not know if the fonts I have
>> bought are ttf. Maybe there are already Adobe Type 1, .pfa
>> or .pfb, but included in a larger file (I choose Ps-Mac format).
>>

> /Applications/FontBook.app (in Finder you'll see only a French
> name) can tell. It works by selecting the font files and double
> clicking them. Then, in Fontbook, after installation, you can
> inspect the font with ⌘-i. I think Linotype FontExplorer X can
> change before installing.

OK. The French name is "Livre des Polices". Thank you.

>> Silly question: What should be the Karl Berry name for "Times
>> Roman SC", "Times Roman OsF" or "TimesTen Roman SC" ?
>
> Philipp Lehman explains the rules to build KB names for ptm: ptmrc8
> and ptmrj8. For TimesTen you can find your own name, I presume. Has
> it some particular encoding or shape?

Thank you. I didn't see that. For Times Ten, I'll use tt that is
still free.

TimesTen is just a version of Times:

Times™ Ten is the version specially designed for smaller text (12
point and below); its characters are wider and the hairlines are a
little stronger. [...] Times™ Eighteen is the headline version,
ideal for point sizes of 18 and larger. The characters are subtly
condensed and the hairlines are finer.

>> Other question: I could read all the files in fontname directory
>> (as Linotype.map, etc.), but TeXShop could not open fontname.dvi.
>> Is that normal?
>
> No. Or you make a faulty description. TeXShop (actually it's
> dvipdfm) would not convert the DVI file to PDF without having a MAP
> file that maps your new PS TeX fonts to font file names and encodings.

I was speaking of the present fontname.dvi I had found in the texmf
tree. It could not be opened by any of the following methods :
double clicking on its icon, dropping its icon onto the icon of
TeXShop, using File/Open... in TeXShop (fontname.dvi is visible).

After receiving your mail, I thought to use -- for the first time in
my life -- dvips from the Terminal. It worked, and the printer began
at once to print 256 pages! Happily, the paper dock was almost empty,
then texdoc dvips gave the cue of using -o...

Best regards,