[OS X TeX] Help for FontForge needed

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Aug 31 02:00:34 CEST 2006

Le 31 août 06 à 00:11, André Bellaïche a écrit :

> I fancied to install Small Caps and Oldstyle Figures to match with
> Times and MathTime, so I bought the needed font from Linotype.
>
> I have read that the first step is to make .pfb fonts from the
> files sent by the vendor. I could install FontForge, which, I was
> said, can manage all types of fonts. The first answer by FontForge
> is "There are several fonts in this file. Choose anyone." (In
> French, in fact.) Easy step. But after that, there is nowhere any
> mention of a conversion to .pfb. Only BDF, which is, I guess a kind
> af bitmat format. What should I do now ?
>
> Neither Bruno Voisin, nor Philip Lehman or Matthew Amster-Burton,
> or the University of Cambridge Engineering Department explain how
> to convert vendor fonts to pfa/pfb with FontForge. Only Bruno does
> it a little, the others suppose that the problem has already been
> solved.
>
> Maybe I should try ttf2pt1 from http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net/
>
> But the main problem is that I do not know if the fonts I have
> bought are ttf. Maybe there are already Adobe Type 1, .pfa or .pfb,
> but included in a larger file (I choose Ps-Mac format).

Bonsoir André,

What is it exactly that you are attempting to do? Convert from TTF to
PFB format?

There's more than a year that I last attempted to do such things, and
I've forgotten most of it. Only thing I can say, I just got hold of a
font file that I had created in FontForge's own private SFD format,
and from which I had later produced PFB, AFM, FFIL and LWFN files. If
only I could remember how!

I suspect this is done using FontForge's "Fichier > Générer fonte..."
menu item (in French, in the X11 version), playing then with the
format scroll-down submenu to specify the format of the generated
font and with the options scroll-down submenu to specify whether an
accompanying AFM file is generated. From the quick tests I just did,
the format submenu must be interpreted as:

PS Type 1 (Ascii) -> PFA
PS Type 1 (Binary) -> PFB
PS Type 1 (Resource) -> LWFN
TrueType -> TTF
TrueType (Resource) -> FFIL
TrueType (Mac dfont) -> DFONT
OpenType (CFF) -> OTF
OpenType (Mac dfont) -> OTF.DFONT

For some strange reason:

- The TrueType (Resource) file is created with extension .suit and OS
X thinks, apparently, that it is an alias. Odd! In order to cure
this, I had to open the file in ResEdit, use "File > Get Info for
This File" and then uncheck all the checkboxes that were checked:

Locked
Has BNDL
Shared
Stationary
No INITs
Inited
Alias
Use Custom Icon

Even odder, I tried this several times, and it wasn't successful all
times: on a few times, OS X persists in thinking the file is an
alias. Last time I tried, a year ago, I think I did not have these
problems, as FontForge wasn't dealing with resources then, it was
only creating MacBinary files from which one extracted manually
resource files using additional tools.

- I'm not quite sure a bitmap version of the font must absolutely be
created, as indicated in the Help, by selecting "Éléments > Bitmaps
disponibles...". If you do, then the bitmap submenu offers afterwards
the choice of NFNT (Resource), which otherwise is dimmed, and
creating PS Type 1 (Resource) or TrueType (Resource) creates, in
addition to the above vectorial formats, a bitmap font file
with .bmap extension.

The .bmap file is also of type FFIL for the Mac: the difference is
that the .bmap file is bitmap FFIL (contained a NFNT resource) and
can't be used by OS X, while the .suit file is vectorial (TrueType)
FFIL (containing a sfnt resource) and can be used by OS X.

I hope this all makes sense to you. The FontForge Help isn't very
helpful regarding Mac fonts formats, but neither is Apple's doc as
far as I know -- when it does exist, which is generally not the case.
FFIL and LWFN font files are, anyway, an OS 9 and Classic relic and
are deprecated on OS X.