[OS X TeX] i-Installer download questions (problem?)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 29 20:51:29 CEST 2006

Am 29.08.2006 um 20:05 schrieb Michael S. Hanson:

> Well, frankly, this dialog confused me a bit:

You're not alone here ...

>   I didn't want to Cancel the installation, and since "Ignore" was
> not recommended (why?), I chose "Update" merely by process of
> elimination.  [I presume -- but am not sure -- that "Ignore" uses
> the local .ii2 package and "Update" uses the remote one, but if so
> that could be spelled out more definitively in the dialog window.]

I presume to ignore the existence of the newer remote i-Package
carries the danger of possibly downloading a newer (small) piece of
TeX, in case you select something that has not been downloaded
previously. Or that has been thinned away, so it can't be re-installed.

If that's the danger then i-Installer better should check whether the
local repository is suitable and disable the automatic download. The
user could do that also by separating from the net ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake Pizza not war!