additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Aug 26 12:47:54 CEST 2006

Am 25.08.2006 um 22:09 schrieb William Adams:

> While I'm not able to directly help --- this did spark a question
> I've been pondering for a while now --- why not add an additional
> texmf tree for all users of a given Mac as a standard part of the
> install?

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local is the tree for this purpose.
Contents there is shared by all users, as is in the hypothetical case
of /Users/Shared/texmf. /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local never gets
deleted by i-Installer, only elder packages (ConTeXt beta, ConTeXt
updater, LaTeX beta, XeTeX, XeTeX Documentation, TeX4ht, ...) get
removed and then replaced by its newer version. Everything else you
installed there survives such changes.

It plays no role whether you put things of special interest into /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local or /Users/Shared/texmf – there'll
always be two trees that shadow the others but come first. In a bad
set-up with /Users/Shared/texmf they are even three trees.

No, there is no need for more confusion. Particularly when mankind is
developing towards cave dwellers believing in shitty mystics or
esoterics or some higher design or half a dozen unique gods.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.