[OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Aug 25 18:23:47 CEST 2006

> Le 25 août 06 à 15:19, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :
>
> >> On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> >>
> >> Read README.howtexfindsfiles.txt available in:
> >>
> >> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex (there's a link to teTeX in
> >> //Library)
> >
> > Aha!  Great - thanks.  Okay, so that file tells me what file the
> > settings are made in - I need to edit
> > </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>
>
> Not really. All you have yo do is put your additions in the local
> system-wide texmf tree at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/, then
> run "sudo texhash" in Terminal.

Righto - yes, that's more like it (I actually meant to say that I
thought I needed to create a file /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf - put it
down to a brain malfunction, but it seems I don't even need to do that,
which is handy).

> > Is there some documentation which explains the syntax of the
> > entries in the file, and how teTeX interprets them?
> > (README.howtexfindsfiles.txt doesn't actually explain any of that)
> > - I've had a look in
> >
> > /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> >
> > and it doesn't explain these issues; it does make reference to a
> > file README.gwtex, but there doesn't seem to be such a file
> > installed anywhere (visible or invisible).  If there is, Spotlight
> > can't find it.
>
> The file you're looking for is /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/
> README.texmf.gwtex.

Got it - thanks.

> >> Get Philipp Lehman's nifty Type 1 Font Installation Guide:
> >>
> >> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/
> >> fontinstallationguide/
> >> fontinstallationguide.pdf

(I've just printed that document out - at 1200dpi. I think I've fallen
in love)

> > Righto - thanks.  Umm.  I've not read it all the way through yet -
> > does it explain where I need to put the files for them to be
> > recognised, and what config files need editing and how?  The point
> > is that I've got working (with CMacTeX's pdfTeX) setups for many
> > additional founts and it strikes me that I should be able to `just
> > copy over the required files' if only I could figure out where to
> > put 'em.
>
> You need to put the files in the appropriate subdirectories of /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/:
>
> - .afm files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/afm/
> - .map files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
> - .tfm files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/
> - .pfb files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/
> - .vf files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/vf/
> - .sty and .fd files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/
>
> The idea is "just duplicate the structure found in /usr/local/teTeX/
> share/texmf.tetex/".

Righto - that all seems fairly straightforward.  Ta.

> Then update the font mapping info for dvips, pdftex and dvipdfm in /
> usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
> etc., so that knowledge of the new fonts is added. For this, *never*
> edit the files psfonts.map etc. yourself. Instead, use updmap-sys
> which will take care of modifying all the files psfonts.map etc. for
> dvips, pdftex and dvipdfm, with the appropriate syntax for each file
> and all in one go.

Righto.

> How to do this? When installing an additional font you should have
> put a map file, myfont.map say, inside usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.local/fonts/map/. Then run:
>
>   sudo updmap-sys --enable Map myfont.map

Coo!  Convenient - thanks for that (I take it that the input map file is
a standard dvips format map file?).  I'm beginning to get a feel for how
it all fits together: thank you ever so much.

btw, I've found
<http://www.tug.org/mactex/src/Documentation/Fonts/fonttutorial-current.
html>.  Dead handy, that - thanks for an excellent job of documentation.

Blimey - and it seems that you have given me all the information I need
to bash on with the job (well, until I run into something else I can't
figure out).  Righto.  Time to wallop the keyboard, nudge the mouse, and
shift some bits.  I may be some time...

Cheers,
Rowland.
(about to get a headache ;-) )