[OS X TeX] Re: Issue with Multiple Bibliographies, MacOSX-TeX Digest #1826 - 08/19/06

Christopher Brislawn brislawn at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 21 17:52:47 CEST 2006

Begin forwarded message:

> Subject: Issue with Multiple Bibliographies
> From: "Simon Lisney" <simon at lisney.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:38:36 +0200
>
> I have recently installed MacTex and using TexShop in conjunction
> with Bibdesk for beginning to compile my thesis.
> So far I have been able to get it all working together and
> producing .tex documents with .bib files.  The problem comes when I
> try to create multiple bibliographies in one .tex file.
> <snip>
>
> I have read that there is an issue using Texshop with multibib but
> that it can be done. Being a beginner I am just not seeing the
> light.  I posted more detail on the Texshop forum which give more
> info here;
>
> http://www.apfelwiki.de/forum/viewtopic.php?
> t=1048&sid=10dd9b656cf5abd69572b2e95d3bb089
>
> If anyone can offer a way in which I can get Texshop to work with
> multiple bibs it would be great. Or offer another working solution
> for this task.

I have had good luck creating a resume' with multiple bibliography
sections (one for journal articles, one for conference papers, one
for book chapters, etc.) using the splitbib package:
http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/splitbib/

It works fine with BibTeX, and I have encountered no problems using
it with multiple .bib files under TeXShop 2.09/gwTeX.  The basic
approach of splitbib is to have the user define "category"
environments that list which bibliography a citation will appear in.
After that, you just cite references as usual in your document using
\cite{}, and splitbib handles the reorganization of citations into
multiple bibliography sections.  For instance, my resume' contains:

\begin{category}[J]{Journal Articles}
	\SBentries{BrisWohl06b,BrisWohl06,...}
\end{category}

\begin{category}[B]{Book Chapters}
	\SBentries{BCHQT03,ClodTheiBris03,...}
\end{category}

The first category results in a bibliography titled "Journal
Articles" with citation tags J1, J2,... for citations corresponding
to the citation labels BrisWohl06b, BrisWohl06,....  The second
category yields a second bibliography titled "Book Chapters" with
entries numbered B1, B2,... for the citations labelled BCHQT03,
ClodTheiBris03,..., and so on.

splitbib is a document-formatting package rather than a bibliographic
database tool, so it is indifferent to the method used to generate
references; it just rearranges them into the desired set of
bibliography sections.  It doesn't redefine the \cite command so it
is easy to add or remove splitbib formatting in existing documents or
change the categories in which the citations will appear.  It also
seems to work fine with various document styles.  The main cost is
the effort associated with manually listing your citations in the
desired categories.

Christopher M. Brislawn
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Computer & Computational Sciences