[OS X TeX] Navigating in the TeXShop editor

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Mon Aug 21 11:22:57 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I have been using TeXShop with satisfaction over the past three
months or so, and actually quite like it. (I find it more convenient
than Emacs + TeXniscope.) But there are some basic editing tasks that
I still haven't learnt. For instance, Ctrl+V takes me down by a page,
but how do I go up by a page. PageUp doesn't take the cursor up a
page, but only displays the previous page. In general, I have noticed
that many of the common things work just as in Emacs (Ctrl+V, Ctrl+K,
Ctrl+D, and so on...), but not all of them. For instance, Alt+V
doesn't take the cursor up a page, and so on. Any help on this... I
am only three months into the Mac, so I might be missing something
basic.

I couldn't find any documentation for simple navigation in the
TeXShop editor, and had to learn things by trying out various things.
I have at least two colleagues (an Emacs devotee and a vi devotee)
who hesitate to use TeXShop just because they do not want to spend a
lot of time learning the editor. Is there any resource I can refer to
for resolving my own doubts, and also for convincing my friends that
they can switch to TeXShop with benefit for the small price of
learning a new editor!? Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Cheers,
Suresh

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute