[OS X TeX] Getting students to use LaTeX (and apa.cls)

Robert Sekuler sekuler at brandeis.edu
Thu Aug 17 21:25:28 CEST 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On 8/17/06, Michael Kubovy <kubovy at virginia.edu> wrote:
>
>> Your write "I don't let my students use anything else". Do you impose
>> this on students working in your lab, or students in a course? If the
>> latter, are these grad students? How do you persuade them to do
>> what's best for them and abandon the deeply ingrained MSW habit?
>
> Last semester I taught two undergraduates in my lab to use latex.
> They had to start from scratch with MikTeX (not much help from me
> there), but they got it quite fast. In a dumb-down world of low
> expectations where anything beyond MSW is too geeky and anything
> beyond high-school algebra is too advanced, these kids made me feel
> better about the future.
>
> Themis

Hi. I insist that everyone in my lab (undergrad, grad or post-doc)
learn and use LaTeX for any doc that I see or work over.   Harsh as
that may sound, in practice the requirement has turned out to be not
much of burden at all.  The reasonable hand-holding and support that
are available in the lab makes this requirement relatively easy to
fulfill, and (good) students quickly appreciate the utility of the
requirement.

Of course, I do not expect students to become expert in all of
LaTeX's  details, or all the .sty packages, etc., but then again I
don't expect that of myself.  That's what the LaTeX Companion --and
the internet-- are for.

Robert Sekuler