auctex [was: [OS X TeX] First post to the list]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at web.DE
Thu Aug 17 10:44:25 CEST 2006

Am 17.08.2006 um 07:27 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 2:00 AM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:
>
>> I prefer to use GNU Emacs or Emacs.app with AUCTeX, but I think of
>> kicking AUCTeX where it really hurts. It has some behaviour that I've
>> heard from MS Windows users. For example, when I enter " it gets
>> converted to `` or such nonsense, it has no XeTeX support, wants me
>> to have stone age german enabled in Babel ... (there are WhizzyTeX,
>> YaTeX ...)
>>

> Why don't you customize this if you don't like it? Takes 15 seconds...
>
> M-x customize-group RET
> TeX-quote

I haven't read so far the manual ... (and before it worked better)

> M-x customize-variable RET
> TeX-command-list
>
> You can add XeTeX support easily.

This worked quite well for the old AUCTeX release. AUCTeX even made a
difference between a TeX and a LaTeX source and put XeTeX or XeLaTeX
in the Command menu. The recent version broke so many things that it
probably makes no difference when I choose something else (stable).

> As for stone-age Babel, I don't know, I use ConTeXt and consider
> the entire LaTeX stuff stone-age :-)

I tried some steps in ConTeXt, found it complicated with different
steps of declaration and/or definition, had to encounter that some
things documented don't work when I try them. But it's worth
consideration every time one has some time (days) to spend with non-
nonsense activities. Particularly the use of colour is intriguing.
Micro-typography is built-in ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Nazionalismus ist die Religion der armen Schweine