[OS X TeX] cmss vs. \sfdefault font question

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Aug 8 01:09:56 CEST 2006

Something came up today that has me perplexed. I have a document that
I created in January that uses:

\renewcommand{\familydefault}{cmss}

to make everything sans serif. When typeset in January, it looked
great and all nice Postscript fonts were used. I just tried
typesetting it and it took forever as mf had to create all the fonts.
When it was done, it looked terrible (all bitmapped fonts). I did a
quick search on the list and found this command:

\renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}

which worked perfectly.

My question is, what in LaTeX has changed? Why did cmss work 7 months
ago and why does it not work now?

Thank you.

-- Gary