[OS X TeX] terminal and tex4ht

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 17 20:15:51 CEST 2006

I am very inexperienced at the terminal and not very clear where
things reside on my MacBookPro.  I was trying to get SimpleTex4ht.app
to work, but it said tex4ht was not installed. I could see it in a
folder but don't know what it takes to "install" it, so I went to the
i-installer and in the "expert" mode installed tex4ht with no
problems noted. However tex4ht "path to tex file" gives -bash:
tex4ht: command not found.

ls /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
bibtex          dvips           metapost        tex
context         fonts           scripts         tex4ht
doc             ls-R            source          web2c

  I tried sudo texhash  ( I don't know what it does, but I hoped it
would find/do something)  I typed my password and I got
   sudo: texhash: command not found

Now I am getting scared. TeXShop still works, so it understands where
things are, but I don't know what has changed.
On my G4 all of these commands work with an installation from over a
year ago. When I got the MacBookPro I installed TeX and the
MacTeX.dmg and TeXShop which work fine. I did install the fink
installer yesterday and I know that played around in the terminal for
a long time. Hopefully that is not my problem. I really don't know
what I am doing there. I'm just trying to learn

Any help would be appreciated. By the way, it doesn't look like any
math or formatting is converted in the html document (on my G4). Is
that to be expected? Thanks.

Tom Rike