[OS X TeX] two-page split equation

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 01:54:45 CEST 2006

On 4/9/06, Alain Schremmer <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Morten Høgholm wrote:
>
> > It is true (even though I said it :-). From amsldoc, § 3.9:
> >
> > Note: Certain equation environments wrap their contents in an
> > unbreakable box, with the consequence that neither \displaybreak
> > nor \allowdisplaybreaks will have any effect on them. These include
> > split, aligned, gathered, and alignedat.
>
> SIGH.............
>
> So I can't even "use  align or gather or some other such environment
> with appropriate \notag's." and will have to align splitssss with much
> use of \hspace{xmm}.

You can use multline, align, gather
You cannot use split, aligned, gathered, alignedat

You are confusing  align, gather with  aligned, gathered, alignedat.
The former are used for a few different equations, the latter for one
"multifloor" equation
like
\left\{ \begin{aligned}&blah\\&ouch\end{aligned}\right.

You can have aligned and alignedat (which seems to be the legacy of
amstex) inside
of equation, multline, align environments