[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1697 - 04/08/06

Peter S. Burrage peter.s.burrage at Dartmouth.EDU
Sun Apr 9 22:31:35 CEST 2006

On 4/9/06 4:15 PM, "Maarten Sneep"  wrote:
> Reducing \floatpagefraction may work. I assume you tried to search
> the FAQ
> and CTAN already for other solutions. If all else fails, just add
> extra space
> to items that are too small (\vspace*{0.5\textheight} should work).
>
> Maarten

Although the adding of vertical space ended up throwing the figures and
tables offcenter, Maarten still provided the answer by considerately
directing me to the FAQ where the answer lay waiting. I hang my head in
shame. For those interested, here is the answer...

(From http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=floatpages)

It's sometimes necessary to force a float to live on a page by itself. (It's
sometimes even necessary for every float to live on a page by itself.) When
the float fails to 'set', and waits for the end of a chapter or of the
document, the natural thing to do is to declare the float as

\begin{figure}[p!]

but the overriding ! modifier has no effect on float page floats; so you
have to make the float satisfy the parameters. Moving tables and figures
offers some suggestions, but doesn't solve the one-float-per-page question.
The 'obvious' solution, using the counter totalnumber ("total number of
floats per page") doesn't work: totalnumber only applies to floats on 'text'
pages (pages containing text as well as one or more float). So, to allow any
size float to take a whole page, set \floatpagefraction really small, and to
ensure that no more than one float occupies a page, make the separation
between floats really big:

\renewcommand\floatpagefraction{.001}
\makeatletter
\setlength\@fpsep{\textheight}