[OS X TeX] Re: White vs. Transparent?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Apr 7 10:56:16 CEST 2006

Le 7 avr. 06 à 09:01, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> Why would anybody who uses a Mac today boot into WinXP to use an
> app which is available for the Mac? BootCamp will help those who
> rely on some app which doesn't exist on the Mac, which is positive,
> I don't see the reverse thing happening. I buy a Mac for the OSX
> experience and not to run Windows.

Try to play on a Mac a PowerPoint presentation prepared on Windows,
and you'll see why! I have attempted to help colleagues, former
Windows users, current OS X switchers, run on their new Mac
PowerPoint presentation from their Windows days: generally it meant
about 1/2 day or a full day of preparatory work, for each
presentation of about 20 slides. All the equations were no longer
visible on the Mac and needed to have their background changed one by
one, encoding problems meant some mathematical characters had been
changed to rubbish, alignments had to be redone one by one due to the
differences between fonts on Windows and on the Mac, most animations
(e.g. movies from lab experiments or animations of numerical
simulations) weren't working any more and had to be re-included one
by one, and so forth.

Needless to say, most people are too busy to spend that much time
just to get a presentation running on a new platform, and give up
once seeing the mess that this is. As a consequence, my colleagues
ended up keeping their Windows laptop around, just to run these
PowerPoint presentations. With a double-boot, you can manage all of
this on the Mac. And so forth when having to fill in forms (for grant
application, etc.) prepared on Word for Windows, not working on
OpenOffice or AbiWord due to tables etc., and working badly on Word
for Mac. Yes, of course you can lobby for the use of open formats,
and the situation is indeed evolving, but generally you simply don't
have the time.