[OS X TeX] Pointer to .bib file

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Sun Apr 2 21:39:33 CEST 2006

On 2 Apr 2006, at 20:28, Maarten Sneep wrote:
Hi,
On 2 Apr 2006, at 15:11, Winfried Zettelmeyer wrote:
> I should have thought about the validity of my path statement a
> little longer.
> It works fine now with
> \bibliography{/Users/winfried/Documents/Bibliography/Bibliography}
> and
> \bibliography{Bibliography} after I had put the link to the above
> location into /Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/

I mostly mentioned the sumbolic link trick, because I use CVS to
synchronise my files across multiple machines. This means that my
actual bibliographic database has to be within the document tree. But
I do want to use the same bibliographic database in other articles as
well, and that is when I came up with the symbolic link. If you can
just put the file in the Library/texmf directory, that is probably
easier and robust. However, if you ever send your documents to
someone else, do not forget to include the bibliographic database.

Maarten,
I am trying to organise my bibliography which accumulated during the
years dispersed over the hard drive(s) in one place with this
stupendous BibDesk programme which I got to know in connection with
my recent change to LaTeX (TeXshop). The plan is to subdivide subject
matters with key words and search with smart groups (still learning
this tool). This would, of course, preclude to include the
bibliographic database as it will be huge and mostly unrelated to the
respective document. But I do not want to send source files anyway,
but just .pdf output or tex4tht converted MSWord files.
The .bib file can, of course, very well stay far away from the
documents it organises, which would make the symbolic link
unnecessary. But being new to BibDesk and TeXshop, and in many
features also to Mac (and UNIX anyway) I still feel a bit uneasy
about ~usr versus /User and the duplication of paths and all, still
feeling more secure from /Documents onwards.
Thanks for your good advice !
Winfried