[OS X TeX] hiding \index commands?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Sep 30 22:54:58 CEST 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>

>> We are writing two large texts that will eventually need to be
>> indexed. The problem we foresee is that the \index command that
>> will be inserted in hundreds or thousands of places will make the
>> source very hard to read. Do the so-called ``folding editors''
>> hide commands like these? If so, is there any chance that we might
>> see this feature in a future version of TeXShop? In addition, are
>> there any editors that would allow one to ``hide'' \index commands?
>>

> Emacs does. I'll send you pics.

OK, I got the pics and I must admit to being intrigued. It is
something like this that might get me to seriously try emacs. With
this in mind, I have three questions:

(1) As of today, what version of emacs for Mac OS X is the most user-
friendly and/or has the nicest GUI (does the phrase GUI even apply to
emacs?)?

(2) Does emacs do any sort of source/preview synchronization similar
to that done by TeXShop?

(3) We won't be doing the index for some months. If any of the
developers of TeXShop are reading this, can they tell me if folding
features such as these are coming to TeXShop (please, please, please)?

-- Gary