[OS X TeX] "Texify"?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Sep 30 17:47:42 CEST 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 2:38 AM, Joachim Kock wrote:

>> Is there a command on TeXShop which automatically executes the
>> sequence: latex + bibtex + latex + latex?
>

> Alpha offers some alternative approaches:
>
> One is to turn AutoNextAction on (in the tetexComm prefs pane).  Then
> automatically the exact required sequence of tex runs and bibtex
> runs will
> be executed (not just some fixed sequence long enough to cover most
> cases).
> This works by scanning the log file (this takes less than 0.1 second):
> certainly this file contains the exact instructions on what needs
> to be
> done next, e.g. labels-may-have-changed --> run-tex-again or
> Citation-foo-undefined --> run-bibtex.
>
> If AutoNextAction is turned off, this does not happen
> automatically, but
> still the log scanning takes place, and it will automatically bind the
> space key to NextAction, so that you can just sit and press the
> space bar
> without having to think.  (After an error-free tex run, NextAction
> is of
> course View.)
>
> Finally, during a tex run you can always press 't' or 'b' to enforce a
> repeated tex run or a bibtex run.  (This feature was copied from
> OzTeX.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joachim

Howdy,

Now that's NICE! I just can't get through the documentation to find
this sort of thing. I guess I need (1)a general introduction to
Alpha's conceptual vision of a document and document handling, (2)the
list and logical organization of the command/keyboard use, (3)the
seemingly wonderful (La)TeX support and (1) and (2) specifically for
that support and finally (4)a reasonable list of ways to customize
the behavior and ``look'' of Alpha. I know I used Emacs and other
Emacs clones for a long time, a very long time ago, but the Mac has
spoiled me.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)