[OS X TeX] Small italic caps & pxfonts?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Sep 29 12:52:36 CEST 2005

Am 29.09.2005 um 12:04 schrieb Johan Almqvist:

> How can I get an italic small caps font defined?

You could try what I recommended some days a go:

Am 19.09.2005 um 15:07 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> How does one create italicized/slanted CAPS?

With trickery!

Honestly, the restriction lies inside fontinst. There are probably good
typographic reason, so the fontinst folks did not implement this. Think
of the exact italic correction too! Now, what you could do, is to fool
fontinst by giving it slanted or italic versions of a font to make
false SmallCaps from:

  \installfamily{OT1}{slh}{}
   \installfont  {slhrc7t}{slhri8r,newlatin}
{ot1c}{OT1}{slh}{m}{sc}{}
   \installfont  {slhdc7t}{slhdi8r,newlatin}
{ot1c}{OT1}{slh}{b}{sc}{}
%
  \installfamily {T1}{slh}{}
   \installfont  {slhrc8t}{slhri8r,newlatin}             {t1c}
{T1}{slh}{m}{sc}{}
   \installfont  {slhdc8t}{slhdi8r,newlatin}             {t1c}
{T1}{slh}{b}{sc}{}
%
  \installfamily{TS1}{slh}{}
   \installfont  {slhr8c} {slhri8r,textcomp}
{ts1}{TS1}{slh}{m}{n}{}
   \installfontas{slhr8c}
{TS1}{slh}{m}{sc}{}

In these examples the faked SmallCaps are put into the Text Companion
or 8c or TS1 encoding, as usual, only the sources from where the
regular glyphs are taken has changed to be the italic or the
artificially slanted upright font (with o instead of i). I'd recommend
to make this a local font variant, i.e. llh. So by switching from slh
to llh you switch mainly the SmallCaps while everything else stays the
same.

If you need some more details, mail again!
--
Greetings

   Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
   -- George W. Bush