[OS X TeX] epstopdf

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Wed Sep 28 23:23:02 CEST 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 3:37 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> Chris,
>
>> With one (ironic) caveat, of course. If you then reference your file
>> name from within TeX, you'll have to escape the _ or you'll get an
>> error.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Just want to make sure, a file name like "Name1_Name2.tex" can cause
> troubles? Can you elaborate it a bit? I'd rather prepare for those
> situations now than too late ...

No, I just meant that _ has a special meaning to TeX, so if you were to
create a TeX file with that character in it and refer to the name of
the file inside a TeX file (i.e. by writing something like "this
information can be found in file Name1_Name2.tex"), you have to take
special care, because TeX's first instinct is to interpret the _ as the
command for a subscript (e.g. as in $A_1$) and TeX will give an error
because _ is being used outside of math mode. So you'd actually have to
type "this information can be found in file Name1\_Name2.tex", or use
verbatim mode for the file name, or something else. That's all I meant.

And of course it's ironic because it was epstopdf's inability to
properly deal with "\ " for the space character in paths that got this
whole discussion started to begin with.

Chris