[OS X TeX] Interaction between apa.cls and fix2col?

Robert Sekuler sekuler at brandeis.edu
Mon Sep 26 21:15:46 CEST 2005

michael:

saw your note on the osx-tex list.  I don't have an answer to your
question, but was curious why you needed all those packages.  Is this
your preamble for a typical journal article? For apa style
manuscripts I use some of the ones you do, e.g., xspace, amsmath,
amsymb, graphicx; no more pdfsync with Tiger, thank goodness), but
was wondering why you needed all of them? I use url, verbatim and
color for docs that I plan to put on the web, and soul.sty for
collaborations and revisions. As you know, I'm sure, soul lets you do
strike outs and highlights.

Incidentally, when I went to your website I enjoyed your piece on
style (writing style).  As I went through the doc I felt relieved
that none of my verbal atrocities had been selected as negative
examples.

Bob
On Sep 25, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Here is the preamble of my file
>
> %! program = pdflatex
> \documentclass[jou]{apa} % journal-like formatting
> % \documentclass[fignum,man]{apa}
> %\documentclass[doc]{apa}  % paper-like formatting (figures embedded)
>
> \usepackage{graphicx} %
> \usepackage{xspace} %
> \usepackage{pdflscape,lscape,rotating} %
> \usepackage{booktabs,dcolumn,topcapt,enumerate} %
> \usepackage{url,verbatim,color}
> \usepackage{flafter,fix2col}  %
> \usepackage{gensymb,textcomp,amsmath,amssymb,maybemath,bm}
> \usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
> \usepackage[labelfont=sf,textfont=sf]{caption,subfig}
> \usepackage[activate]{pdfcprot}
> \usepackage{pdfsync}
>
> With fix2col.sty the footnote separator disappears, without it, the
> order of floats is messed up, but the footnote separator is fine.
> Suggestions?
> _____________________________
> Professor Michael Kubovy
> University of Virginia
> Department of Psychology
> USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
> Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
>         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
> Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
> Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
> Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
> WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/