[OS X TeX] A Wintel mate to TeXShop

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Fri Sep 23 11:11:05 CEST 2005

On 23.09.2005, at 06:47, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> I don't think you'll find anything quite like it, either, if
>> you're looking for a Macintosh user experience.  To Joe's comment,
>> I'd add a suggestion to search the archives of this list for
>> recommendations, as this question has come up a few times over the
>> years.
>>
>> Adam
>>
> I had no illusion that I would find "a Macintosh user experience"―
> after all, my first Mac was a 256―but I am looking for something
> like "dammage control".
> I will search the archives.
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer

Hi,

just some notes from my experience:
- - As far as I know (which is not certainly comprehensive, of course),
there is nothing remotely comparable to TeXShop on _any_ platform.
- - At the times I was working with LaTeX on Windows more intensively,
I used MikTeX together with WinEdt, which was by far not as
comfortable, but ok for the usual tasks, once you get used to it (of
course, I was working with OzTeX on the Mac at the time, which is
also a great software, but in my experience has a more "Windows-like"
workflow than TeXShop/teTeX).
- - Nevertheless, I always used only one platform (depending on which
was my "main" working platform at the time) for the "serious" part of
the work, i.e. typesetting, graphics stuff, proofreading, correcting
errors, fine-tuning the layout, printing proofs etc., while I used
the other one mainly for editing the text.
For me, that's one of the nicest aspects of TeX: the main part of the
work is done with plain-text files, which are editable more or less
platform-independently (as long as you don't use UTF-8 encoding etc.,
where it probably starts getting more problematic).
This is probably a matter of personal preferences, but I think that
when a big portion of the work is spent with creating the content,
the remaining effort for the layout etc. can be dealt with in the
final phase of the work. In most cases there is no use in playing
around with fonts or some platform-dependent layout specialties as
long as the main text content is not nearly complete.

I dont't know if these thoughts are applicable to your case; hearing
others' thoughts on that matter would also be interesting, of course.

Bernhard

___________________ gpg key ID _ A89F09C45921020D __