[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Mon Sep 12 23:43:59 CEST 2005

> On Sep 12, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
[snip]

> The OP had a misguided notion that installing tex on a different drive
> would make his system more stable.

Erm, no.  He had the entirely correctly guided notion that he didn't
want to put all that data on his boot partition mostly for space
reasons, but also partly for ease of use reasons when the time comes to
next wipe and re-install.

I'm not sure where you got your wrong idea from.

What on Earth could it do for system stability?  Nothing that I can see
- make it worse if anything at all (although I think that's unlikely
given what I'm playing about with), 'cos I'm changing things from the
way Apple expects.

> For the record, the easiest way to
> do this would be to install in /usr/local, then ``cd /usr; tar cvf -
> local | (cd somewhere; tar xpvf -); rm -rf local; ln -s
somewhere/local
> local'' and be done with it and stop bothering everybody (the OP that
> is).

[snip]

Thank you.

Rowland.