[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 11 15:46:00 CEST 2005

> If you make /usr/local a symbolic link to some other directory (as I
> am doing usually, too), then after each software installation using
> one of the GUI installers, please check if your symbolic link is still
> there or if it has been removed and replaced by a real directory. The
> Apple installer is known to do this occasionally if it is used to
> install things in /usr/local, even Apple softwareupdate has done it
> once or twice.

If only everyone would use i-Installer for Unix stuff, we wouldn't have
these problems. :-)

Apple shouldn't really be installing stuff in /usr/local - as they
distribute the OS they can safely put things straight in /usr.

> BTW, you can very well replace /usr/X11R6 by a symbolic link, too, but
> the same advice is in order; you shouldn't do it if later you want to
> use Apple's installer to install things into /usr/X11R6.

This gets messy.  The reason you can do it with /usr/local is that it's
a true 'user' hierarchy, and Apple shouldn't be messing with it.  But
/usr/X11R6 already contains an Apple X11 distribution, and if you move
it then the Apple installers get confused.

Tony

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>