[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sun Sep 11 15:10:47 CEST 2005

On 11.09.2005, at 13:57, Anthony Morton wrote:
>>> i-Installer (and other tetex distributions) install inside the /
>>> usr/local directory (not as an application bundle or such).
>>
>> I know.  And as I say, I want to make it install the software
>> somewhere else.
>
> As someone mentioned, probably the most successful way of doing
> this, while keeping everything organised in the way expected under
> the Unix architecture, is to map the entire '/usr/local' file
> hierarchy to the desired location on your other volume.  The
> easiest way to do this is with a symbolic link.
>
> Before you install *anything* whatsoever, go into Terminal and type
> 'ls /usr'.  This lists all the (visible) files in your '/usr'
> directory.  Make sure there's no folder called 'local' - if there
> is then something's already been installed there and you'll
> probably want to zap it and re-install it later.  Assuming there's
> no 'local' directory and your other volume is mounted (called
> something like /Volumes/otherapps), do the following:
>
> 1. Create a folder called 'unix' on your 'otherapps' volume - this
> can be done in Terminal as
>     sudo mkdir /Volumes/otherapps/unix
> The 'sudo' bit ensures that the folder is owned by 'root' (the
> super-user), as all high-level folders should be.  Note that you
> need to type your account password to run commands as the super-user.
>
> 2. Make a symbolic link to /usr/local from this new folder:
>     sudo ln -s /Volumes/otherapps/unix /usr/local
>
> The folder 'unix' on the other volume will now replicate a Unix-
> like local file hierarchy, which will automatically be used as an
> installation location by Unix-like utilities such as i-Installer.
> You can put any other Mac-like apps, documents, etc. on this other
> volume as long as you leave the 'unix' folder alone.
>
> Of course, the folder doesn't have to be called 'unix' or even be
> at the top level on your 'otherapps' volume, as long as you specify
> the correct path to the folder at step 2 above.  If you ever need
> to wipe and reinstall your boot volume, you'll need to remember to
> recreate the link - this just means typing the command at step 2
> once again after reinstalling.

Just for confirmation, I did exactly that with only the teTeX
directory mapped to /Volumes/Beta/usr/local/teTeX in order to not
interfere with any applications relying on hard-coded paths, and it
works perfectly.
By the way, I tried something similar with mapping /var/tmp to
another partition when I was running out of space on my OS partition,
which caused all application installers built using Installer Vise to
crash, although the command-line path using the symlink (/var/tmp)
was the same as before; some apps seem to be unable to resolve symlinks.

> (Having said all that, the 'ideal Unix way' to go about this would
> probably be to define /usr/local as a 'mount point', and have the
> other volume 'automount' at this location in the file system,
> rather than be referenced indirectly via a symbolic link.  But
> explaining how to set this up requires more knowledge of Unix
> administration than I'm confident about giving advice on.)

Sounds great, too, but as long as the simple symlink works, I'll
stick with that... :-) (especially since the OSX way of automounting
seems to be based on a different concept than other Unixes, at least
I did not find out yet how it really works)

Bernhard

__ mail bb at creativeeyes.at __ www.creativeeyes.at __
__ Phone  +43 699 12660415 __ Fax   +43 1 8775334 __
___________________ gpg key ID _ A89F09C45921020D __

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>