[MacTeX] Re: [OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package in the *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Sep 10 20:38:02 CEST 2005

Le 10 sept. 05 à 19:58, Karl Berry a écrit :

>>> - \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined will no longer work to detect whether
>
> This is nothing new.  The change was made in teTeX 3.0, thus I expect
> has been in gwTeX for some time.
>
> Thomas Esser went to a good deal of trouble to get packages changed.
> The mere fact that \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined or \@ifundefined
> {pdfoutput}
> is used does not mean that anything is broken.  In fact, the standard
> way to detect it, as used in (for example) ifpdf.sty, is to check
> first
> if \pdfoutput is defined, and if so, then check if \pdfoutput is > 0.

OK, sorry for the trouble. The original message on the OS X TeX list
has few details, and I interpreted it as meaning that \pdfoutput was
no longer defined and could no longer be tested, and implying that
\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined or \@ifundefined{pdfoutput} would return
errors.

> As far as I know, the only real impact is on *user* documents which
> might use \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined or the equivalent to conditionally
> load packages (or whatever).  They will now break.  They have to be
> changed to use ifpdf.sty or equivalent logic.

Then I'm one of those persons that have to be careful: one of my
personal macro files contains, for example:

     \newif\ifpdf
     \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
       \pdffalse
     \else